Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Review of The Lightkeeper's Daughter


I first heard of The Lightkeeper's Daughter over at Miss Laurie's blog, and she had a very nice review of it. It sounded like my kind of book. It was based in the late 17 century, during the Victorian era. And the Victorian and Edwardian eras are really my favorites. It also had a little adventure, romance, and was a Christian fiction book. So I was at the library a couple weeks ago, saw it and thought "hey, why not?" 

The book revolves around Addie, a young woman who has grown up all her life at the lighthouse. She is having a difficult time now that her loving father has died, and her mother, who never really seemed to love her, is being rather cold and trying. Then one rainy evening, an injured man is brought to the lighthouse. Addie sets to work taking care of him. When he regains consciousness he acts very strange. The stranger and her mother talk and whisper, and Addie finds out a surprising secret: She is not Addie Sullivan. She is actually Julia Eaton-the long lost child who was feared dead by her wealthy family. He offers her a chance to be reunited with the Eaton's, and Addie leaves her home but decides to keep her true identity a secret until they can unravel the dark mystery tied to the Eaton family. Addie feels very happy to have found a big family, and she loves the boy she is taking care of as she poses as a governess. She finds herself falling in love with her employer, and she is treated kindly by all the family. But when the time comes for Addie to reveal her true identity, is she ready for the consequences?

I enjoyed this book, it had an interesting premise, several endearing characters, and a true underlying current of faith, at least in regards to Addie. I was a little worried that the rest of the Eaton's didn't seem to have that faith. Addie's love interest, though Christian, does not seem to be fully committed. Addie's faith was so strong, I just hope maybe that had an impact on John and his child later. It had quite a bit of romance though, which is not always my cup of tea. Anne and Gilbert romances I love, but too much romance and not enough obstacles just doesn't make for an exciting read. 

I was fascinated by the daily life of the town and the Eaton's at Mercy Falls in the late 1800s. Hearing about people from child laborers to the rich Upper classes made for a wide variety of perspectives. 

The mystery was interesting, and I was fairly surprised at who it turned out to be. (Or rather, I got one of the criminals right, but the other I just didn't think would have done it, so it was definitely a surprise that they were in on it too.) 

Overall, I would give the Lightkeeper's Daughter a 7.5 out of 10. It was a nice read, and I may read the others in the Mercy Falls series, but I will probably only borrow them from the library, not buy them. 

Right now I am reading "Shepherd's Abiding," Mitford's Christmas story. Are you all reading any holiday books to get in the spirit?


No comments:

Post a Comment