Friday, February 15, 2013

Happy Belated Valentine's Day


I know it is not Valentine's Day, but I've been planning this post for awhile. And just because I was busy on Valentines Day making homemade cards and having dinner with my family, I will not spoil my own fun. So I have decided to do what I originally planned. I decided that there is nothing better than some wonderful, romantic quotes to make people happy. So, I picked some of my favorites. (Not all because that would be too many to count, dear readers!) so now, without further ado, some Valentine's Day quotes:


"A man in khaki was standing on the steps-a tall fellow, with dark eyes and hair, and a narrow white scar running across his brown cheek. Rilla stared at him foolishly for a moment. Who was it? She ought to know him-certainly there was something very familiar about him...'Rilla-my-Rilla,' he said. 'Ken,' gasped Rilla. Of course, it was Ken-but he looked so much older-he was so much changed-that scar-the lines about his eyes and lips-her thoughts went whirling helplessly. Ken took the uncertain hand he held out, and looked at her. The slim Rilla of four years ago had rounded out into symmetry. He had left a school girl, and he found a woman-a woman with wonderful eyes and a dented lip, and rose-bloom cheek- a woman altogether beautiful and desirable- the woman of his dreams. 'Is it Rilla-my-Rilla?' he asked, meaningly. Emotion shook Rilla from head to foot, Joy- happiness- sorrow- fear- every passion that had wrung her heart in those four long years seemed to surge up in her soul for a moment as the deeps of being were stirred. She tried to speak; at first voice would not come. Then- 'Yeth,'said Rilla." -From Rilla of Ingleside

And anyone who's read that book will be sighing right now, for Rilla saying "Yeth" meant something very special indeed. It is a rather long quote, but I just had to include all of it.


"It came clearly and suddenly on the air of a June evening. An old, old call-two higher notes and one long and soft and low. Emily Starr, dreaming at her window, heard it and stood up, her face suddenly gone white. Dreaming still -she must be! Teddy Kent was thousands of miles away, in the Orient- so much she knew from an item in a Montreal paper. Yes, she had dreamed it-imagined it. It came again. And Emily knew that Teddy was there, waiting for her in Lofty John's Bush.-calling to her across the years. She went down slowly-out-across the garden. Of course Teddy was there- under the firs. It seemed the most natural thing in the world that he should come to her there, in that old-world garden where the three lombardies still kept guard. Nothing was wanting to bridge the years. There was no gulf. HE put out his hands and drew her to him, with no conventional greeting. And spoke as if there were no years-no memories- between them. 'Don't tell me you can't love me- you can-you must- why, Emily-'his eyes had met the moonlit brilliance of hers for a moment-'you do.'" -From Emily's Quest
Oh what a romantic, romantic thing! The old call! I got a teddy bear for Valentine's Day two years ago and I named it Teddy Kent. I just loved this ending.


"I have a dream,' he (Gilbert) said slowly. 'I persist in dreaming it, although it has often seemed to me that it could never come true. I dream of  home with a hearth fire in it, a cat and a dog, the footsteps of friends-and you!'" - From Anne of the Island Ch. 41 "Love takes up the glass of time"

Anne of Green Gables is one of my favorites, and I just love this whole chapter! Oh Anne and Gilbert! Need I say more? ;)


"'But I've been thinking, Betsy. The Plan has been twisted about to let you in. You're in it now, that's all. I wouldn't like it without you. I wouldn't give a darn for my old Plan if you couldn't be in it.'"...... "After Commencement Day, the World!' Joe said. "With Betsy." - From Betsy and Joe 

Betsy and Joe are one of those wonderful high school couples. They meet the summer before freshman year, but have misunderstandings once school starts. For Freshman, Sophomore, and Junior year Betsy and Joe are caught in a tangle of misunderstandings, but liking each other through it all. Senior year crowns Betsy and Joe's happiness, and need I mention, my own. :)


"That's the rose you put in the birthday cake, and next week we'll have a fresh one in another jolly little cake which you'll make me; you left it on the floor of my den the night we talked there, and I've kept it ever since. There's love and romance for you!" -Tom Shaw, From An Old-fashioned Girl

I love Little Polly and Tom's relationship! It's a beautiful little love story. And the way he changes, and goes West, and makes himself a better man....! And Polly's sweet, unwavering love. It's a wonderful story, all in all.

And we can't forget Jane Austen!


“I cannot make speeches, Emma...If I loved you less, I might be able to talk about it more. But you know what I am. You hear nothing but truth from me. I have blamed you, and lectured you, and you have borne it as no other woman in England would have borne it.” -From Emma

 I simply love Mr. Knightley, with an "e." He is one of my favorite Austen heroes!



"“I come here with no expectations, only to profess, now that I am at liberty to do so, that my heart is and always will be yours.” - From Sense and Sensibility

That part makes me have a smile cry, you know, when you're smiling and you have happy tears in your eyes? It made Elinor cry too. (At least, in the '95 movie it did...)



“In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you.” -From Pride and Prejudice

True, Mr. Darcy followed that up with, I know you are lower than me in rank, birth "et cetera, et cetera, et cetera;" but really, it's a wonderful sentiment.

That is all for now, I hope you all had a very happy Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment