Sunday, August 31, 2014

In Which I discuss books, music, and movies


Okay, so it has been a little bit. And, sadly, this post is not going to be a review. It is going to be.... miscellaneous? I'm really not sure what to call it.

First, I would like to start out by telling you guys how UNBELIEVABLY EXCITED I AM. Why am I excited? Only because three books I have been looking forward to are coming out soon! Yes, you heard that right.... THREE NEW BOOKS.

Books
Here they are (in order of date being published):

September 2, 2014

This is the newest installment in the comfy, cozy, Father Tim Mitford series. I am looking forward to catching up with Father Tim, Cynthia, Dooley, and the rest of my "old friends." 

Synopsis:
While glad to be at home in Mitford, something is definitely missing: a pulpit. But when he’s offered one, he decides he doesn’t want it. Maybe he’s lost his passion.
His adopted son, Dooley, wrestles with his own passion—for the beautiful and gifted Lace Turner, and his vision to become a successful country vet. Dooley’s brother, Sammy, still enraged by his mother’s abandonment, destroys one of Father Tim’s prized possessions. And Hope Murphy, owner of Happy Endings bookstore, struggles with the potential loss of her unborn child and her hard-won business.
All this as Wanda’s Feel Good CafĂ© opens, a romance catches fire through an Internet word game, their former mayor hatches a reelection campaign to throw the bums out, and the weekly Muse poses a probing inquiry: Does Mitford still take care of its own?
Millions of fans will applaud the chance to spend time, once more, in the often comic and utterly human presence of Jan Karon’s characters. Indeed, they have never been more sympathetic, bighearted, and engaging.



October 20, 2014, obviously

I am actually REALLY excited about this one; I am not sure I can even wait.... I might explode. This book is going to be much different than my usual literary tastes, but.... it sounds awesome. And Jennifer Freitag is awesome. Here blog is awesome. Therefore, I am hoping this book is awesome as well. I read her first book, the Shadow Things, and really liked it. I can't wait to see how her skills have been even more fine toned in this upcoming novel. (To read snippets, details, etc. go to her blog and click on the Plenilune tag.)

Synopsis:
The fate of Plenilune hangs on the election of the Overlord, for which Rupert de la Mare and his brother are the only contenders, but when Rupert’s unwilling bride-to-be uncovers his plot to murder his brother, the conflict explodes into civil war. To assure the minds of the lord-electors of Plenilune that he has some capacity for humanity, Rupert de la Mare has been asked to woo and win a lady before he can become the Overlord, and he will do it—even if he has to kidnap her. 
En route to Naples to catch a suitor, Margaret Coventry was not expecting a suitor to catch her.


November 5, 2014
I love Rachel Heffington's first novel Fly Away Home, and I am really excited for Anon, Sir, Anon. It is an old fashioned British murder mystery, quirky villagers and all! So I am really excited about it. :)

Synopsis:
In coming to Whistlecreig, Genevieve Langley expected to find an ailing uncle in need of gentle care. In reality, her charge is a cantankerous Shakespearean actor with a penchant for fencing and an affinity for placing impossible bets.

When a body shows up in a field near Whistlecreig Manor and Vivi is the only one to recognize the victim, she is unceremoniously baptized into the art of crime-solving: a field in which first impressions are seldom lasting and personal interest knocks at the front door.

Set against the russet backdrop of a Northamptonshire fog, Anon, Sir, Anon cuts a cozy path to a chilling crime.

Music


The Civil Wars (especially Poison & Wine)


Tenth Avenue North (especially... everything. :))


Clair de Lune by Debussy


Pride & Prejudice Soundtrack 2005 (especially Daydreams)


Collide by Howie Day (especially the Anne and Gilbert version. Go look it up on YouTube. I think you are going to like it!)

Movie(s)


Dead Poets Society: So I watched this last night, and it was... interesting. It was different than I thought it would be. It was thought provoking, and it was rather tough. I may have a more coherent review later, but then again, maybe not. Some ideas and impressions just stick in my brain, half-formed, only really felt, not easily expressed. This is why I have difficulty in English class. They love for you to dissect, describe, and pretty much rip an idea to shreds. Which, I am sure, is a good exercise, but hard to put into practice. My head is full of half-formed, baby thoughts, too fragile or too rough to behold in the harsh light of day. That sounds rather silly, but that really is how it is. Do you all ever have that kind of thought? (Or thoughts?)

So I have a confession to make: I have never liked poetry. I really actually hate it. I know, shame on me. For three consecutive years my English teachers have taken a unit to introduce students to good poetry, teach them how to appreciate it, analyze it, dissect it, and altogether absorb it. And I was having none of that. I was sure after each unit that I would never want to read poetry on my own. But, now I kind of do. Because, if I only had ever read books through what the school assigns, I daresay I would think I disliked reading....

So what poems/poets/books do you guys recommend (especially for a beginner! Especially for someone who has disliked poetry in the past...) I have no idea where to begin, and I'm hoping for some recommendations. Also, if anyone has some good tips on how to read/understand/really digest poetry, I am all ears. Thanks in advance! :)

3 comments:

  1. A new Jan Karon book!!!!!!!!! Woohoo! I had no idea this was coming out -- and I'm so excited for it now! I love that series.

    And Dead Poets Society. How I loved that movie when I was in college. So poignant, so thought-provoking. So sad.

    As for poetry... I hated poetry until I got to college. The only poet I liked at all until then was Robert Frost, and I do still love his poetry. His work is very accessible, easy to understand, full of rich imagery. Some of my favorites are "Nothing Gold Can Stay" and "Mending Wall." And "Acquainted with the Night."

    I'd also recommend Carl Sandburg. Also not bewildering like a lot of modern poetry can be. I love "Fog" particularly much.

    I love Robert Browning and Emily Barrett Browning too. RB can be really funny and has lots of surprise endings -- his "Porphyria's Lover" and "My Last Duchess" make me laugh because they're so awful. Not awfully written, but just about awful people. EBB's "Sonnets from the Portuguese" are beautiful.

    When I read poetry, I first like to read over the whole poem and get a feel for it. What's the overall tone and emotion? Sad? Happy? Wistful? Playful? Etc. Then I go back and read it again to figure out what story is being told, and try to figure out what the author wanted me to take away from it.

    I read a really great book in college that helped me understand poetry a lot. It's called "Sleeping on the Wing" by Kenneth Koch (another of my favorite poets) and Kate Farrell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hamlette, I will definitely be looking up those authors. In fact, I think we have Frost somewhere in the house.....
      I am glad to hear you didn't like poetry at first. There may be hope for me yet; I always thought I would and should like poetry. And another Jan Karon lover! Yay :)

      Delete
    2. I think the poetry I read for lit classes in my high school years were chosen because they were Important, and more attention was paid to making sure I had read one poem by every Important Poet than on understanding what poetry is all about. Which is why it took a combination of a good college lit prof and a roommate who wrote poetry to open me to poetry and not think of it as pretentious and dull.

      Delete